Following the idea of the first ‘Artists’ Colony Frauenchiemsee’, different groups of artists arose from the mid 19th century in and around Lake Chiemsee. Attracted by the unparalleled Bavarian pre-alpine landscape and inspired by the traditional rural customs, many artists, mostly from Munich, decided to settle down to live and work at the waterfront locations.

In 1930, Willi Geiger purchased an over 400 year old dilapidated farmhouse in Übersee, the so-called Bax, in the district Baumgarten/Neuwies. Soon after buying it, he and his son Rupprecht began with the reconstruction of the ruin. Being an architecture student at the time, he added typical Mediterranean architectural elements, since he was influenced by a stay in Tuscany. Willi Geiger mainly spent the time of the Nazi regime at the Bax in ‘inner emigration’. During this time the Bax, described as the ‘oasis of humanity’, became a place of freedom for the exchange of ideas.

After World War II, the house was used as a holiday home for the family, and later it was put under historical protection.

Das Künstlerhaus Geiger - die Bax

In the 1980’s Monika Geiger, architect and daughter-in-law of Willi Geiger, undertook modification and restoration measures to the western part of the house. In the summer of 2004 the barn was refurbished for the first exhibition of Willi Geiger at the Bax. Further exhibitions were to follow in the summers of 2006, 2009, and 2013. Even today in the unchanged part of the home, you can feel the atmosphere of the time when Willi Geiger sat around the table with his artist colleagues and friends.